The Bay Area Teacher Training Institute (BATTI) offers two-year combined Master’s and credential programs for Bay Area educators, under the sponsorship of the University of the Pacific, Stockton. BATTI students work full-time at independent, charter, and public schools while taking evening and weekend courses to attain their credential and Master’s degree. Close supervision from thoughtful, experienced mentors creates an atmosphere of reflection, collegiality, and support. BATTI offers two degree programs with credential:
Master’s of Arts in Education – students work as full-time, paid assistant teachers at Bay Area elementary schools while completing coursework in two years. Students earn a Master of Arts in Education and a Multiple Subject Teaching Credential.
Master’s in Educational Leadership – aspiring school heads and principals, mid-level administrators, and teacher leaders continue to work at their educational institutions while completing coursework and fieldwork tailored to their individual interests and the needs of their school. In two years they gain an Master of Arts in Educational Leadership and an Administrative Services Credential.
Why is BATTI a good choice for your teaching credential?
- In addition to their credential theory classes, BATTI students have the opportunity to develop their skills in a classroom environment and “learn by doing.”
- The program offers excellent mentorship through its lead teacher/mentors and BATTI supervisors.
- The small cohort group is inspiring and encouraging.
- Our students take a careful and thoughtful approach to becoming teachers and emerge from their two years of training confident and prepared.
- Our graduates get good jobs in public and private schools. We are proud to say that 80% of them are still in the classroom!
- In our two year program, you get both a CA multiple subject teaching credential and a MA in Education.
How do I find out about the program?
Prospective students are asked to attend one of our information sessions in order to learn about the program in full and receive application materials. At the session you will also receive a contact list and suggestions that will help you apply to the coalition schools.
What if I live at a distance from the Bay Area?
If you are applying from out of the area, please contact the director by email, send a resume, and watch our information session on youtube. (The video above is the first of the four short videos) Phone calls, skype interviews, and if possible, a March or April visit, help out-of-the area applicants get into our program and obtain the required job.
More information about admissions may be found here.
We want you to join us!
BATTI seeks to diversify the teaching ranks by attracting more males and teachers of color into the profession. BATTI is an exciting choice for a credential program, and is dedicated to attracting good teachers to the profession and helping them thrive.
Please follow the Bay Area Teacher Training Institute on Facebook and Twitter
Bob Houghteling, Executive Director
1624 Franklin Street, Suite 1005
Oakland, CA 94612